statin drugs and cancer

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

statin drugs and cancer

Postby wake up call » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:30 pm

has anyone found any research about a correlation between statin drugs and cancer, specifically pancreatic? From what I've been able to research, cholesterol levels play a part in the developement of pancreatic cancer, but I haven't found any info on how statin drugs would affect/effect this (good or bad).
wake up call

Re: statin drugs and cancer

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi 'wake up call' & Welcome to the Forum,

This is article that discusses your concerns:
Dangers of Statin Drugs: What You Haven’t Been Told About Popular Cholesterol-Lowering Medicines
By Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD

[http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html]

Cancer is almost 1/2 way down the page, but read the complete article for the good (very little), bad and the ugly.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby wake up call » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:25 pm

thank you for the welcome and thank you for the information.

I wish more physicians would educate themselves with info other than what the drug companies pedal. The money driven healthcare system in this country is deplorable. More people need to stand up to the system, that's the only way to bring it back around to patient focused & patient control. Drug companies & insurance companies have taken away our autonomy, our right to choose and our right to be in charge, we are at their mercy all because of the money.
wake up call

cancer

Postby vipergg22 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:38 pm

It has been long speculated that statins cause increased cancer cases.
I bet this little bit of news has the big pharms shaking a little . A lowly vitamin supplement (vitiamin d ) can reduce some cancers by up to 50% . Imagine a vitamin doing this .
[http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4563336.stm]
vipergg22

Postby flacorps » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:35 pm

Of course this is entirely anecdotal, but my mother blames the death of a close friend on liver cancer that appeared shortly after she started taking one of the first statins that came out.
flacorps

cancer and statins

Postby eml256 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:46 pm

One of the original clinical trials using Pravachol (think it was called by the acronym "CARE") showed a 1200% increase (relative risk assessment) in breast cancer in women...the "official" assessment was that it was all a statistical anomoly--that there should have been more cancer cases in the placebo group (which had 1 case of breast cancer) the experimental group receiving paravachol had 13 cases of breast cancer in their group).

I am unsure if this exact clinical trial has ever been repeated...madelyn
eml256

Postby wake up call » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:16 am

There are many natural things (vitamins & herbs) that "First do no harm" and secondly help the body recover to normal balance. I find it truly amazing how brainwashed the majority of the american public is when it comes to their belief that modern medicine and pharmacueticals are the only answer to health issues. As a society we've stopped being responsible for our own health and expect a little pill to fix decades of abuse from poor nutrition and lifestyles. The really sad and frightening part is how doctors have also bought into the science (and money) mentality. When did medicine stop being and 'art' that was 'practiced'? So many things are available to us that have been proven over hundreds (if not even thousands) of years of success in curing or returning to homeostasis.
wake up call

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs