Support group development

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby BDavis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 am

I've found this site to be very helpful, but I was wondering if anyone has started a face to face support group?
We all have similar symptoms as victims of Statins but really don't fit into local medical support groups. Sometimes it's nice to gather with people and exchange stories and give support.
Myself I've thought about joining a Heart Failure group but it's hard to explain the rest of the symptoms that range from ALS like symptoms to Alzheimer to Parkinson.
I find it hard to have friends that have any understanding of my issues but yet would like to do things but at my pace on the days I feel I can do things. It's hard to explain the "good days" from the bad days.
I'm in Florida, if any one has started a group please let me know.
Thanks,
BeLinda
BDavis

Postby pmgamer18 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:56 am

I found this site from a support group.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Stopped_Our_Statins/
Phil
pmgamer18

Postby BDavis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks pmgamer18,
I added the link to my favorites, but what I'm really looking for is a in person support group.
Thank you,
BeLinda
BDavis

Postby pmgamer18 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:54 pm

That would be great but I don't see this happening. I have tried to start some person to person groups for Men with low Testosterone and we are many but no on showed up for weeks. So I droped it.

Phil
pmgamer18

Postby David Staup » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Belinda,

try looking for a Chronic Fatigue group...there is good evidence that most of them have a mito disorder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2680051/

if you google the symptoms of CFS you see a good match for our symptoms.
David Staup

Postby BDavis » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Phil,
Even though many suffer from low testosterone it may be the sensitivity of the subject and the fact men are shy about talking about it that caused a failure to develop a group, I'm sorry for that. Support and talking helps in my opinion.
Good luck.

Thanks David, I'll check out the link you sent.

Does anyone know the number of Statin victims?
BeLinda
BDavis

Postby pmgamer18 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:05 am

BDavis,
This is very true I have lost count as to how many women come to my forum about there husband. They get sick and hide it when they find out they have low Testosterone they feel like less a man. Once you get them talking they open up.

I guess it's just a man thing some are sick with this for so long it tears down there Adrenals and then has an effect on there other hormones.

Phil
pmgamer18

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs