Neuropathy, Myopathy, Myalgia

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Neuropathy, Myopathy, Myalgia

Postby harley2ride » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:12 pm

I too have the Neuropathy, Myopathy, and Myalgia from 34 days of 10mg of Crestor. This was over 18 months ago. I've been taking the coq10 (2000mg), fish oil (2000mg), magnesium (500mg), l-carnitine (250mg), and they did help for awhile. But as I continually get worse, their help lessens as well. I just started taking dhea (25mg) and it seemed to be helping a bit after I hit the second day of 50mg. But then I developed an allergic reaction to it, so now I have to try a different brand name. If it helps any, I will post my results here. I would like to know if the person who took the glucamine, was as bad off as I am now. My muscle strenght is down about 60 - 70 percent. Exercise, even stretching, makes it worse. It's like the more I use it, the more I lose it.
harley2ride

Reply for "harley2ride" re: Neuropathy, Myopathy,

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:40 pm

Hi Harley2Ride,

Quick question?
Are you taking 2,000 mg of CoQ10 or is that a typo?
My husband takes 200 mg (once) daily for maintenance. He took 400 mg (split dose) for several months after stopping Lipitor.
It's doing wonders for his BP and is also helping to repair 5 yrs of Lipitor, 10 mg for 4 yrs and 20 mg for the 5th yr (aka "when the sh-t hit the fan" year).

He takes glucosamine in a liquid preparation called "JointCare". We buy it at Sam's Club. Also contains chondroitin, MSM, collagen.
For more info: ww.drinkables.com/ffjc.html
JointCare helps his knees and joints, but not muscle.

For the past several months, we've added 2,000 mg of L-Glutamine (an amino acid) to the list of his nutritional supplements. L-Glutamine (primarily used by body builders) builds muscle and helps with brain function. It took several weeks before we noticed improvement, but he's stating to get some of his muscle-tone back, has more energy and improved memory. His muscles were just withering away over the years; decreasing so much that he had very little muscle strength.

If you decide to try L-Glutamine, take it alone, preferably between meals, to derive the most benefit.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby harley2ride » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:22 pm

That wasn't a typo. My doctor has me on 2000mg of COQ10 daily. I will have to mention the glutamine to him and see what he thinks. I saw on another post somewhere in this forum where a gentleman had major improvement after a couple of sessions in a hyperbaric chamber. I would definately try that, if I could find someone to donate the time in it. I'm already financially devistated from this illness.
harley2ride

Postby Dee » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:43 pm

My husband and I have both tried the Glutamine. Husband thinks it helps a bit. (He has some memory and fatigue issues after being on Lipitor over a year.) I can't say it has done much for me. I was on Pravachol for almost 3 years and been off it for 1 yr. and 8 months...I am still totally messed up. Verified muscle weakness, nerve damage...on and on...doctors loath to say what the cause is though.
Dee

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs