Problems with FIRST DOSE!! Question

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Problems with FIRST DOSE!! Question

Postby gone2beach » Thu May 28, 2009 4:50 pm

First day on this med 20 mg, which I guess is one of the lower doses. I am dizzy, achy, HEADACHE (and I haven't had a headache in over 20 yrs). Some muscle aches, eyes watering and yawing like I haven't slept in days. Should I assume I should NOT take anymore of this med??? My doc is out of town....
gone2beach

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu May 28, 2009 5:19 pm

YES!!!
cjbrooksjc

Postby schatzi » Thu May 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The sooner you stop taking Pravachol, or any other statin, the better.
schatzi

Postby schatzi » Thu May 28, 2009 5:51 pm

As far as I know Red Rice Yeast is available over the counter in health food stores, like GNC or from Puritan on the internet. Just remember Red Rice Yeast is a STATIN and causes the same side effects.

To lower your cholesterol you can use Promise Supershots ( 2g of Plant Sterols per serving), available in the Dairy Dept of most Grocery Chains It really works, view my other posts.

I was taking two Promise daily and experienced some pain in my joints, after just two days of reducing to one Promise after dinner, the pain is just about gone.
schatzi

Postby gone2beach » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for the fast response!! No more statins for me...I will be at the dairy isle first thing in the morning, followed by the health food store!!
gone2beach

Postby schatzi » Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 pm

gone2beach

My experience with Red Rice Yeast was not good. For me it caused the same side effects that statins did. Although I realize it may work better for you. Just keep in mind RRY is a statin, albeit natural.

The Promise works well for me on its own.

Wishing you success.

schatzi
schatzi

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu May 28, 2009 10:35 pm

G2B: To help reduce your cholesterol (if that is what you are determined to do) order Sytrinol, Polycosinol, Nicotinic acid, Nasd, or something other than Red yeast on rice to lower your cholesterol. Red yeast is a natural Statin and employs the same physical mechanism as any of the meds identified as statins (Zocor, Lipitor, Vytorin, Crestor, etc.) to reduce cholesterol. It is simply unrefined and a lower dosage, and it will cause the same reaction if you take it long enough. You may be super-sensitive to statins and, if so, will sorely regret taking them... be warned!

Welcome to the Forum!

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby gone2beach » Fri May 29, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks all for the info!! I will do the Promise and get some Omega 3's from the health food store...(I don't really care for salmon or tuna.) I am on a 'low fat diet', actually had already started it 2 weeks before I got the report. Maybe my brain already knew?? Who knows. I do know we all need to listen to our bodies!!

I will stay away from any yeasts!! I am one of those people who a med either works really well, or I get adverse reactions right away. Don't need to feel like that ever again!! I'd prefer to take my chances with the raised cholesterol!!

My other half was on statins for 6 mos. He felt no reactions at all, but I did notice that he told the same 'stories' over and over and his memory was garbage. That has gone away since he stopped taking them!! We'll keep a close eye on his levels, too. We'll both do 'shots'!!
gone2beach

Postby Brian C. » Fri May 29, 2009 12:18 pm

A low fat diet is NOT a healthy diet. Abandon it and enjoy lots of good unprocessed natural fats and oils. Your body needs them.

Stop believing the propaganda of powerful corporate interests.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby gone2beach » Fri May 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Not totally low fat...30 gm fat per day...I can stand to lose 30 lbs...yep, lots of good grains, beans, fruits, veggies...
gone2beach

Postby David Staup » Fri May 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Gonetobeach

read the subtitle to doc G's book "Statin Drug Side Effects". then view the video on this page.....

http://www.spacedoc.net/great_cholesterol_con

there is no indipendant data supporting any benifits to lowering cholesterol... only oxidized cholesterol. if the antiinflamitory benifit of statins is what you seek then read this:

http://www.pharmaomega.com/shop/product ... heart.html
David Staup

Postby gone2beach » Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks...read them both and went to both stores today...how much omega 3 do you think is 'enough'?? The bottle recommends 3 per day, 1000 units each.

Next question...what's all the hype about COQ10?? Any real benefit from it??
gone2beach

Postby Brian C. » Sat May 30, 2009 1:34 am

Re "hype about CoQ10".

Please go to this link (drop the leading asterix)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mevalonate_inhibition

and read the section 'CoQ10 ( Ubiquinone ) Inhibition'

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby gone2beach » Sat May 30, 2009 7:39 am

Thanks, that I already knew....I should have been more clear. What I should have asked is do you think taking extra COQ10 is beneficial?
gone2beach

Postby David Staup » Sat May 30, 2009 7:56 am

G2B

Yes the coQ10 is benificial. most of us take at least 600 to 800 mg per day.
If you do need to loose weight the atkins diet is how to do it. do not skimp on the fats and oils.

the fish (or krill) oil 3000 per day is good also

David
David Staup

Postby Brian C. » Sat May 30, 2009 8:04 am

Yes, without a doubt. However, CoQ10/Ubiquinone can be produced by different processes under varying conditions, much of it being produced from confiscated tobacco plants in China. I only purchase that made by Kaneka, the company that bought the original process from Merck(!).

Recently I have been buying Kaneka QH Ubiquinol, the reduced form that is more easily assimilated by the elderly and statin-damaged. Whereas previously I needed to take 900mg of Kaneka ubiquinone daily to keep muscle pains at bay I now need take only 300mg of their ubiquinol.

I buy the Healthy Origins brand from iHerb.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby gone2beach » Sat May 30, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks for the answer!! I had NO idea it came from a tobacco plant!! How interesting that one of the things that is so bad for us can also produce something that is GOOD for us!! I'll check that site out!!
gone2beach

Postby Ray Holder » Sat May 30, 2009 10:06 am

The Q10 produced using the tobacco plant is less pure than the Kaneka product, made by fermentation, and contains some of the unwanted residues from the processing. I have also found it less effective.

I believe one far East country was seizing illicit tobacco which evaded duty and selling it off cheaply to Q10 makers, instead of destroying it by burning.

I too am in the process of changing over to Ubiquinol, or QH as it is becoming known. I used to take 1200 mg Q10, but am changing gradually.I have reached the point of taking 400mg QH and 300 mg Q10 (both Kaneka) and believe it is helping me.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby gone2beach » Sat May 30, 2009 10:22 am

Great info from all...NOW to hunt down a Dr who also hates statins!!
gone2beach

Postby gone2beach » Sun May 31, 2009 2:59 pm

Well, today I am finally headache FREE!! That one little pill really did me in...OH and my mind is sharp today, too.....
gone2beach

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs