does hypothyroid/low thyroid CAUSE your numbers to go up?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

does hypothyroid/low thyroid CAUSE your numbers to go up?

Postby gardenmaniac » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 am

So...I just posted 2 days ago about taking plant sterols for the past 4 months and after blood work, my numbers went UP!

Also indicated on my lab work was that my TSH level had gone up and my synthroid dose needed to be upped..(I have been on thyroid meds for 20 years or so) As I sat & looked at the lab report, it also said to note change in reference range due to new instrumentation & methodology...I wondered what that meant , so I googled it and started looking...

I ran across articles that mention that if your thyroid levels are low, your cholesterol levels go up...

I haven't had my dosage changed in several years...but now I am wondering if there is a correlation between my TSH levels and Cholesterol numbers...I'll have to do some serious digging to find past lab reports..

Anyway...does anyone have experience with this?

I start my higher synthroid today, go for a blood check in 3 months..I am thinking that maybe I should get the cholesterol level checked too & see if there is a change there after the higher dose of synthroid..

But here's an additional quirk...I had been taking Promise Activ super shots & decided that since they didn't work to quit....but maybe they did do something & the numbers would have been higher yet because the thyroid is out of whack

HMM....any info? :?
gardenmaniac

hypothyroidism

Postby maggiep » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 am

Yes, it absouletly does increase when your thyroid is low. I have hypothyroidism and everytime its low my cholestrol goes up. Do not allow any doctor to put you on statins until your thyroid is under control. I had cancer of my thyroid and had it surgically removed. When I had to go through whole body scans I would have to be off my medication. One time my family doctor decided to check my cholestrol levels and it was over 300 and he wanted to put me on cholestrol medication. Fortunately I called my Endroconologist about this and she said DO NOT go on the cholestrol medication that my cholestrol WILL go down when I get back on my synthroid. Thats why its so important to have thryroid checked before doctors put you on cholestrol meds. I have pretty much lost faith in doctors lately. I've relied on Dr. Gravelines method of controlling cholestrol.

Margaret :)
maggiep

Postby Esmeralda » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 pm

I, too am hypothyroid, and had been taking Levothyroxine six months to control cholesterol. I now know my bad reaction to Crestor was the interaction of Levothyroxine and Crestor. My doctor never figured it out, and I only figured it out a few months ago.

I switched from Levothyroxine to Armour Thyroid a few months ago and am doing much better. I also switched doctors.
Esmeralda

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs