Dr. Golomb, Statin Effects Study Discontinued????

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Dr. Golomb, Statin Effects Study Discontinued????

Postby equestrian » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Today I called the number listed on the UCSD Statin Effects Study website for Dr. Golomb's study. I wanted to ask about a specific recommendation and did so at the suggestion of my allergist, the only one who has been interested in helping me. The message on the answering end said that "due to lack of funding", they were unable to answer at this time. They would try to reply to messages. Does anyone know - was this a natural discontinuation of the study? Is there anything else in progress? This was definitely our best shot for recognition and help! Are there any other recognized "Side Effects" studies or any other experts concentrating on this area?

Thanks
equestrian

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 am

Equestrian, unfortunately, the UCSD Statin Effects Study has and is having funding problems. This is not the first time they had to put the study on hold. In fact, I received a request for a contribution a short time ago, but, like some of us that are retired and on a fixed income and are paying high medication bills every months I was not able to make a contribution to the project. I thought the project had grant funding? Maybe someone has an answer?
gotts1936

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:09 pm

What Dr. Golomb needs is a group or individual to put together a grant request that would be on going for her to continue her work, but I would bet, if Dr. Golomb got a large grant to continue her work, USCD would throw her off campus.
gotts1936

Postby equestrian » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 pm

How about a political approach? Anybody got a senator, congressman/woman who is a physician who would be interested in our cause? They always like exposing scandals. What about NIH/Federal funding, no sense dumping Medicare $ into making people sicker. Anyone with other/better ideas?
equestrian

April 16th Appt

Postby pgrimm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:35 am

I am disappointed but not surprised to read about a possible suspension of Dr. Golomb's study. I am taking Bill for an appointment with her next Wednesday, April 16th. If you have any specific questions you would like me to ask her, or anything else I should tell her for our group, please let me know before that date. The appointment is at the V.A., where we have had the usual lack of valid treatment for statin damage, and of course, we have no trust in them, but we are hoping that we can find some answers with the doctor.
pgrimm

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:44 am

Pam, you might ask her if she has ever looked at this website. If she has not than that, of itself, will tell us alot. Anyways, good luck at the VA.
gotts1936

Postby equestrian » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:33 pm

I am interested to know of any other on-going studies or any other collaborators ANYWHERE in the US. Can she refer us to any COMPETENT physicians or are we stuck in the wilderness forever alone with dismissive, arrogant doctors who think we are garden-variety morons? Guess that sounded like a rant but it is the result of sincere frustration and extreme pain.
equestrian

Postby equestrian » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:10 am

Following up on the comment from Gotts, would Dr. Golomb be willing to monitor our forum? We are relying on our experiences. Her insight and analysis would be valuable.
equestrian

Today's Appt

Postby pgrimm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:48 am

Getting ready to travel to San Diego, I read your last posts. I will speak with Dr. Golomb about our forum, that's a good idea. I'll also find out thte status of her research, and if she knows of a list of physicians who can be trusted in ths area. If you have any other questions, you can call me before 1:00, 661-817-3420.
pgrimm

We saw Dr. Beatrice Golomb today

Postby pgrimm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am

We just got home from our appointment with Dr. Golomb in San Diego. I'm exhausted, but I had to at least tell you that it went very well. She's just wonderful, and the visit was most validating. I'll write more tomorrow night.

Pam
pgrimm

Dr. Golomb, Statin Effects Study Discontinued?

Postby jazzbird925 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:02 pm

This afternoon I received the following - a positive sign that the study is alive and well:

The University of California at San Diego (UCSD) Statin Effects Study
recently sent you the following questionnaires:

____ 1) Cholesterol Drugs and Adverse Events Study Questionnaire

____ 2) Cholesterol Drugs and Muscle Questionnaire

We wanted to follow-up on your progress with the checked surveys, and
offer any help to you in completing these documents. Please feel free
to contact us via e-mail (statinstudy@ucsd.edu
<mailto:statinstudy@ucsd.edu>) or phone ((858) 558-4950)ext 206.

Thank you so much for your time. Your help in providing information
about your experience with statin drugs is greatly appreciated, and will
enhance our knowledge of their potential side effects.

Respectfully,
Stephanie Cham
UCSD Statin Effects Study
jazzbird925

Postby Allen1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:43 pm

It is good to see that this is still ongoing, in this day and age it really does surprise me that a lot more Doctors are not asking questions as to the value of reducing statins via chemical means and why they do not look into a patients newly acquired health changes after prescribing statins to see what may be causing them to manifest.
Allen1

2 mos.

Postby pgrimm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:47 pm

Dr. Golomb said she will have a publication comimg out in two months on the relationship between statin drugs and muscle damage.
pgrimm

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:12 pm

Great! Finally! Though I'm a booster, I was wondering WHEN they would publish.
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs